Tuesday, January 11, 2005

some noteworthy flicks

I finally got around to watching three of 2004's hottest and more controversial films this past month. Film #1: "Supersize Me" by Morgan Spurlock. You'll never eat fast food again. And if you do, you need your noggin x-rayed. Film #2: "Fahrenheit 9/11" by Michael Moore. Raises some interesting questions regarding the war in Iraq and the present administration. Yes, Moore bugs the tarnation out of me sometimes, but I appreciate his tenacity in asking questions and challenging those in power. Film #3: "The Passion of the Christ" by Mel Gibson. After all the hooplah last spring, I was really nervous about the violence in the film. And while I had to turn my head a few times, it was nothing like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Schindler's List". And you just can't beat the ending in Gibson's film. Literally! It doesn't get much better than Jesus resurrecting from the dead. What a hope-filled message. Go Mel! GO JESUS!!!

Because of some of the controversy surrounding these films, I'm guessing some of you out there have decided not to view them. And that's the great thing about America. You have the freedom to remain at home and watch commercial-laden sitcoms instead (hey, I do that, too). But if we want to connect with our culture, we need to stay up-to-date on the messages they're receiving.

2 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

Now it's time for you to see the less noteworthy but equally (if not MORE) inspirational flicks Napoleon Dynamite and Garden State. Wow!

10:56 AM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

Those were great films. Although I didn't see Farenhight 9/11 the news was enough for me to understand that....well never mind. Yes, Super Size me had quite an impact. Allison and I walked into the movie with a tub of butter popcorn, nachos, and a big drink. All three sat on the floor untouched after about twenty minutes into the movie. We have yet to eat at McDonalds since seeing it 9 months ago! TPoTC was amazing. I saw it twice, but some (about 5) of my teens saw it three, four five, and even SIX times! I asked what they liked about it and they said they were just drawn to it!

Dynamite was good, but nothing original. I didn't like Saved until I reflected on it, so that's worth checking out. I also recomend Mean Girls. Allison and I rented Parenthood a few nights ago, and it had a resonance that it didn't have before it was very funny! So those are my three recomendations.

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home