Wednesday, December 01, 2004

the trinity...journalistically speaking

Today is the end of an era. Tonight Tom Brokaw steps down from his evening anchor position on NBC. The Big Three will now only be the Big Two...and that only until next March when Dan the Man retires. This is a huge deal. HUGE. Tom, Dan and Peter watched me grow up. I guess a more accurate statement would be that I watched THEM as I grew up. As far back as my memory allows, since way back in the dawn of my childhood, those guys ruled the airwaves. Sure, I recognize the names and faces of their journalistic ancestors – Walter Cronkite, David Brinkley and the like – but Tom, Dan and Peter were my generation's dinner table staple. I remember them before their hair turned gray and the wrinkles set in. I could always turn on the TV and count on their familiar faces and even-keel voices to comfort me in some odd way. But not so anymore. Someone else will step in. Someone who Rowan will remember from HIS childhood. And life marches on.

1 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

I didn't think I cared about this until reading your blog. Now I'm like, all sad and stuff.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home