Saturday, December 11, 2004

talkin' dirty...diapers, that is

Back in the spring, before Rowan made his appearance, one of my co-workers -- newly married and all of 25 years old -- asked me if I was going to be one of those parents who constantly discussed the contents of my baby's diaper, the state of his mucus, how many times he had thrown up, etc. He kind of went off about how new parents are always volunteering unnecessary information about their children's bodily excrements. I, too, had noticed the same phenomenon. I promised to make an effort at not sharing "diaper stories" in everyday conversation. Well, Aaron...I've failed you, man. Just the other day one of my new-mommy friends called and asked me what I was doing. I matter-of-factly replied, "Changing the most rancid-smelling diaper in Rowan's eight months of life."

I now understand why new parents discuss the aforementioned matters to such a degree. The simple fact is your life revolves around the baby, and since all babies really do -- besides look so stinking cute all the time (pun intended) -- is eat, poop, and spit up, it's only natural that their caretakers would discuss those events. When you're wiping someone else's rear every few hours, the topic is bound to make its way into conversation at some point.

I'll just be sure to keep my lip zipped when I'm around Aaron. At least until he has a baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home