Monday, November 07, 2005

can't sleep...so I'm blogging

The frustrating thing about missing out on a night's sleep when you're a parent is that you don't have the option of sleeping in. The bambino is waking up at 6:30 a.m. whether or not you've caught your forty winks. I wish I could say something profound here but there's nothing to add...it's just a fact. You have babies; you don't sleep in. Just in case anyone was wondering.

So, let's see, what to write about, what to write about...I know...let's discuss sickly people who feel the need to spread their germs around to the general public and how infuriated it makes me. Let's talk about how annoying it is to go into church and hug a friend who simultaneously shares the information that she's been throwing up since midnight. Or let's talk about the co-worker who sounds like he's going to violently project his lungs onto his desk but has "too much work to do" to take a sick day. Or let's talk about the influenza-infiltrated pal who shows up at your Christmas party, only to drag about in a feverish stupor.

People. Puh-LEASE. If, in the last 24 hours, your digestive track has been emptying itself from either end, STAY HOME. If, in the last 24 hours, your tonsils have swollen to the size of your head, STAY HOME. If, in the last 24 hours, you have run fever, coughed up a luge, or sported any kind of oozing rash, STAY HOME. Why is it so hard for people to STAY HOME???

Seriously. Why do people feel the need to come to work or church or any other social function when they're under-the-weather? Why?!? Someone enlighten me!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger JMG said...

Our economy is all about production. It doesn't matter how crappy the product it as long as it gets produced. Companies discourage sick days because it cuts into production (it doesn't matter if the worker is producing something on an assembly line, producing business reports for the CEO's, or producing students that are able to make a good mard on the standardized test) and diminishes the bottom line. Workers are expected to just suck it up and be a man and not let a little bug get them down.

And I guess some people want to look and feel "spiritual" and "devoted" so they come to church sick.

I'm with you on this. I tell my students if they're sick, they need to stay home because I don't want to catch what they've got.

6:09 AM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

But Jana, we don't mind missing work or church for a golf game on a beautiful day or a Titan's game.

Well maybe the Titan's game doesn't apply this year.

Tony

4:23 PM  
Blogger Byron said...

Those people are stupid. We should kick them out once we have found out they are "unclean".

10:20 PM  
Blogger Malia said...

I would answer your question about why sick people show up to work/play/church etc but I'm too busy spreading my sick germs all of Nashville to unsuspecting healthy folks like yourself.

;-)

Just kidding (sort of)...for me it's kind of like the sleep thing, 6:30 am comes whether or not I've rested suffiently the night before. Life still happens whether or not I'm hacking up a lung. But I do try to be prudent about where I go with my sick germs and sick children's germs. No church, school or work if any of those ailments have been present for the past 24 hours. I'm with you on that!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Malia - At least you're honest. I bet some of my bloggin' pals who usually comment here haven't made a comment about this topic because they're guilty and feelin' the shame!!! ;)

12:58 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Don't even go there, Jana. I only go to church when I'm sick because I have to be there. And I only infect my tech people.

Actually, I've been fortunate to not have been sick on sundays in the last 2 and a half years.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

That is SO WRONG, Phil! You can be sure I won't be volunteering to help out the tech crew.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I actually need some more PowerPoint people, and I really wouldn't come in if I'm sick. Sheryl knows exactly what to do, so I wouldn't really be necessary.

It's only once every two months...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Little Light said...

Guilt. If you take a day's rest, you feel like you're being lazy.

5:41 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

What about people who don't vaccinate their children against diseases that once crippled and killed those who caught them?

It's a big trend here in NY for people to not vaccinate their kids, which put the rest of us at risk. Not to be too "Tom Cruise-ish" here, but I feel like that is somewhat dangerous (dare I say irresponsible)?

I know there are a ton of discussions and debates out there about this. Howerver I think that only exists because we don't see kids spending their childhood in iron lungs anymore. That's for a reason....vaccines. The fact remains that diseases that were once practically irradicated are now coming back because people don't vaccinate thier kids. And believe me, as this Slate article attests to, kids are the biggest health risk and health insurance for us all!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Jenni said...

AMEN and AMEN and AMEN!!!! .

We have this discussion/argument in my office every year - especially as it gets closer to sick time. I say "please stay home and don't infect me with your neasty germs" my boss says, "I'm really not sick" which is complete and total hogwash!!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Jenni - Seriously! I could get into some arguments about this, too. I feel that strongly about it! (and obviously some people don't)

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home