Monday, October 24, 2005

a vacation observation

Coming back from a two-week vacation, I'm realizing how much stuff I really honestly don't need. I didn't check my email for two weeks and guess what? I really didn't miss it that much. But now that I'm home, I find myself clicking on the send/receive button every half hour. Don't really need all my little household projects; the world keeps spinning whether they're finished or not.

We were out-of-pocket for two weeks but I really didn't miss our "stuff" that much. Okay, so yes, I missed our bed. But not much else of the materialistic variety. Stuff weighs us down. It clutters our homes, and more significantly, it clutters our minds. I think Jesus knew what was up when he started wandering the countryside with only the clothes on his back. It's a lot easier to focus on important matters when stuff isn't dragging us down.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Great point Jana. Bet you didn't miss the blog spammers either.

Tony

3:44 PM  
Blogger jch said...

There was a guy/student at seminary that wore the same white t-shirt every day. In black magic marker he wrote on the shirt, "Jesus was homeless." My first reaction was to think that this guy was a freak but in the Kingdom of God I have to wonder, who is more of a freak? Me with my Gap and H&M clothes or the guy/student with the same white t-shirt?

Good post.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just today I pondered,

How can I buy new shoes when I know a single mom that can't pay her rent?
How can I rent a movie when I know a missionary family who can't make ends meet?

(I am not saying shoes and movies are wrong.)

Just that our society has trained me to be too much of a consumer, and I am trying to have God's perspective.
Thanks for your insightful post Jana! It helped me today.

shannon

2:33 AM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

I am not even a stuff person and I have too much stuff--and I do think my stuff drags me down. Good insights!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home