Monday, October 24, 2005

a vacation observation

Coming back from a two-week vacation, I'm realizing how much stuff I really honestly don't need. I didn't check my email for two weeks and guess what? I really didn't miss it that much. But now that I'm home, I find myself clicking on the send/receive button every half hour. Don't really need all my little household projects; the world keeps spinning whether they're finished or not.

We were out-of-pocket for two weeks but I really didn't miss our "stuff" that much. Okay, so yes, I missed our bed. But not much else of the materialistic variety. Stuff weighs us down. It clutters our homes, and more significantly, it clutters our minds. I think Jesus knew what was up when he started wandering the countryside with only the clothes on his back. It's a lot easier to focus on important matters when stuff isn't dragging us down.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 PM  
Blogger polly said...

I was blog surfin when I ran into your site. You are right stuff really does bog you down. I have been going through our house room by room getting rid of stuff we don't need. Life is starting to become easier for us. It has freed me up to do more things with my family, friends and church. I just wish I had done it earlier. You did not say if you had fun on your trip. Hope that you did.
Polly

2:29 PM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Great point Jana. Bet you didn't miss the blog spammers either.

Tony

3:44 PM  
Blogger jch said...

There was a guy/student at seminary that wore the same white t-shirt every day. In black magic marker he wrote on the shirt, "Jesus was homeless." My first reaction was to think that this guy was a freak but in the Kingdom of God I have to wonder, who is more of a freak? Me with my Gap and H&M clothes or the guy/student with the same white t-shirt?

Good post.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just today I pondered,

How can I buy new shoes when I know a single mom that can't pay her rent?
How can I rent a movie when I know a missionary family who can't make ends meet?

(I am not saying shoes and movies are wrong.)

Just that our society has trained me to be too much of a consumer, and I am trying to have God's perspective.
Thanks for your insightful post Jana! It helped me today.

shannon

2:33 AM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

I am not even a stuff person and I have too much stuff--and I do think my stuff drags me down. Good insights!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home