Tuesday, September 13, 2005

hurricane swirling in my head

It is strange to spend three bucks on an iced mocha when I know there are people on the Gulf Coast…in Africa…even in Tennessee…who can’t find clean water to drink. Strange indeed. Those three bucks could have bought a meal for someone. I don’t say this to induce guilt; I think it’s fine to treat yourself every once in awhile. It’s just a thought I had after making my caffeinated purchase this morning. One of the many thoughts I’ve had in light of recent events.

A few more thoughts spinning around in my noggin...all the bickering back and forth about whose fault the Katrina catastrophe is…it all makes me want to scream. Do we not have better things to do with our time than call the President a racist or label the people who were stranded at the Superdome the “dregs of society” and “the trash you don’t want”? I came across an article the other day where the author concluded his piece – and I’m sorry, I can’t find the link now (I think the author’s name was Jim Swift) -- with the comment: “Let’s save the blame game for when lives aren’t hanging in the balance.” To that I say AMEN. Instead of griping about who is at fault for all the chaos, let’s keep sending supplies and workers and prayers to the thousands of people in need. And let’s LISTEN to the survivors tell their stories. Let's stop flappin' our yap traps, and start LISTENING to the people who have survived this hellish ordeal.

Just like after 9/11, I have watched the news more than usual. But these past few days, I’ve found myself starting to avoid the headlines. Maybe because sitting around watching the suffering and not being able to doing anything about it is extremely depressing to me. Besides donating necessities to evacuees, honestly, there’s not much I can do for my southern neighbors. But there ARE needy people right here in Tennessee who I can support, both financially and emotionally. There are people living below the poverty level within walking distance of my home. So instead of watching the Gulf Coast’s tragedy from afar and feeling despair at my geographic inability to assist the displaced families, I pray that God will open my eyes to those in need in my own backyard.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chel said...

That's an excellent way to look at things! My hope is that, through this, we will all begin to be more aware of the needs around us and to reach out when we can. (And I wish we had a nice Starbucks so I could get an iced chai latte!)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Great comments Jana. You know, I am a little surprised Starbucks is not donating a percentage of every purchase to the relief effort. Seems like the kind of thing they would do. Then you could say, "drink up."

Tony

12:40 PM  
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

When can we get our families together??

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Oh. My. Goodness. The famous BST has posted on my blog.

4:01 PM  
Blogger christine pinson said...

Great thoughts here...you have shown such compassion through your blogging alone, I have a feeling you are doing more than you know just by the obvious crying out to God you have been doing. I don't know you, but I always feel so challenged and blessed by your spirit that comes through your writing. I posted a link on my blog today to my friend Jarod's blog, and it really captures what you said about opening our ears and hearts to those who have suffered through this ordeal.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Malia said...

David and his brother and father are going to Louisiana this weekend, check out his blog (dbcarden.blogspot.com) for info on how you can help.

5:09 PM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

Can I add an "AMEN" here?
I have had so many of the same thoughts lately.
I am amazed how God has used tragedy to open my eyes to needs around me.

JB

7:30 PM  
Blogger erinlo said...

Hey- thank you so much for your words of encouragement on my blog. It meant a lot to me.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home