Tuesday, June 21, 2005

winners of movies...but not of contests

In case anyone's in need of entertainment this weekend, here are some winners of movies I've watched recently:
Judgment at Nuremburg - one of my new favorites
Bridge on the River Kwai - great commentary on the madness of war, suspenseful
Mona Lisa Smile - As the credits rolled, I was thinking it, but Brandon went ahead and spoke it aloud, "Jana, you would NOT have done well in the fifties!" ;)

So I competed in this contest of sorts to form a 7-member female team blog called Intellectuelles. There were 31 entrants in the contest and the "winners" were revealed today. I didn't make the team but I didn't really expect to. My writing is more chatty, down-to-earth, and goofy, I think, than what they were looking for. But about half of the 31 entrants drew favorable comments, a majority of votes, etc. My entry wasn't even on that list, and it burned my pride a little. But such is life, right? I'm glad I sent in an entry anyway.

6 Comments:

Blogger Chel said...

And which entry was yours? As I read through for the judging, I wondered if you had entered. Sometimes, the mere act of doing something important to you is of more value than the final outcome. Don't be discouraged.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Little Light said...

I second Chel.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

Thanks for telling me your entry. As I went through the entries, I marked two sets - one that I thought best met Marla's criteria and one that I enjoyed most myself. Your entry was one of only three in the second set! It was honestly one of my favorites. You should be proud of it and take ownership of it on Marla's blog.
Michele

8:20 AM  
Blogger Anita said...

Hey, don't be sad or mad. My entry didn't get anywhere either. But that's okay. Writing isn't my thing. We all have gifts to contribute and if we were all writers, who would the readers be? I think just stepping up to the challenge was enough of an accomplishment. In MHO your entry was really good. I enjoyed reading the chattier ones over the scholarly ones.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

Re comment on "madness of war," are you a pacifist?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Julana - Hmm...am I pacifist? Never really given the label much thought. But since I'm opposed to using violence as a means to settle disputes, then I suppose that might put me in the category of "pacifist". I would hope most believers would be pacifists at heart.

I also know that, because of war, freedom has been established for Christians, for Jews, for blacks, and so on. Still doesn't make it any less maddening though.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home