Monday, March 28, 2005

a letter to my son on his first birthday

Dear Rowan,

Wow. What a year. The last 365 days have probably been the most altering and challenging days of my life. I did NOT know what I was doing when I signed up to have a child! (You might as well hear it now…Mommy and Daddy do not know everything!) This past year – the first year of your life on this earth – has changed me in ways too numerous to count. But instead of going into all that (you can read my journals someday if you want all those details), I’d like to tell you what I am grateful for on this your first birthday.

I am thankful for your robust physical health during your first year of life. I am thankful for your amazing – and I mean AMAZING – father. I am thankful to be forever physically linked to your dad through you. I am thankful for your wise and doting Paw & Gram Keyes and Grammy Cheryl. I am thankful for our friends, near and far, who love on you whenever we get together. I am thankful for your big, fat, squishy, kissable cheeks (both sets). I am thankful that you enjoy being outside, experiencing God’s garden. I am thankful for all the prayers that have gone up on behalf of you, Daddy and me. I am grateful for your smiles, your giggles, your wiggles, your ticklish spots, your coos, your babbling, even your cries. I am grateful for the fact that you recognize me as your mother. I am grateful for the ways you are already teaching me about the Lord’s love for me. I am thankful for YOU, the gift of Rowan.

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with this child.

7 Comments:

Blogger Little Light said...

Congratulations and happy birthday to Rowan.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!!!

What a beautiful post mom. Congratulations on a job well done. Being a mom is the best isn't it?

9:21 AM  
Blogger Byron said...

Happy Birthday little Rowen. Your parents are so wonderful. How fortunate we are to be apart of your life.

Bundys

1:50 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

Rowan Happy Birthday big guy! Great post Jana, B-Young I am waiting for the guitar song (please don't sing) celebrating Rowan.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I am a "Donna-come-lately" but I hope the birthday was great! Children truly do teach you about the love of God.

4:15 PM  
Blogger MDM said...

I think it is some kind of miracle how much little babies grow in the first year. Loved the post. I worried when my girls turned one that baby-hood was over. Not true at all. In my book, baby-hood lasts until about 4.5 years when they start smelling like puppies and not sweet babies!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your letter to your son. It made me wish I'd written one at my son's first birthday. He's now 20. Maybe I'll write it anyway. I remember every single thing I would have wanted to say 19 yrs ago. Now for my medical 2 cents. I don't know about the hive thing. My son developed a rash at age 5. He was treated with all sorts of things for 8 years. Nothing worked. It would go into remission for a little then recur with a vengence. I finally rejected the doctor pills and salves. I put him on the strongest pro-biotic I could find (PB8 actually). In one week it went away and has never returned. Of course he still takes the pro-biotics. Don't know if that's of value to a one yr old. But in a few years it might be worth a try.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home