Friday, February 18, 2005

work vs rest

Brandon goes to work this morning and opens an email from the partners addressed to the entire company. It basically reads..."blah blah blah blah we need you to work some extra hours these next few months blah blah blah blah". I just don't get it. Why? Why are Americans so obsessed with work? This was Brandon's reply:

"I agree - why do we have to work so much? Our culture has this idea engrained into it that we have to work, work and work. That is what defines us. It really is ludicrous, and I don't really feel guilty for having the opposite attitude. I mean - I want to do good work, but I want to do it on a reasonable schedule. My life is not my work. I guess some people would say that you won't be 'great' that way. Well, I want to be a great husband and father first and foremost - that's my most important time investment, and I expect you to hold me accountable."

That's one of the many reasons I love him. (He's got a cute dimple, too.)

2 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

By now you have picked up the latest copy of Newsweek and you've learned that in 2004 we (the mighty United States) have overcome all the others in the average time we give to the work during the work. I hope we keep pushing in all other areas of our lives too so that we can be #1 in all facets! UGH!

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Work work work! We work to make the rich richer so they can by another Yacht, or take another trip to Europe. It's paid slavery is all it amounts to.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home