Monday, January 31, 2005

we're all missionaries

Yesterday morning, two recovered alcoholics shared their stories with our assembly. One of their points was that we don't have to be a paid professional or pepper our conversations with the word "God" to be a minister. I love that. I love that someone who has been to hell and back, and believes in the power of Jesus with every fiber of their being, can stand up and say that. It validates me.

When I hear folks talking "spiritual", I usually turn to Brandon and say, half-joking but half-serious, "Well, I guess they're a stronger Christian than I am, 'cause I just ain't feelin' it!" The men who shared their stories explained that everyone has a story to tell, and by sharing with others how God has rescued us and carried us through life, Christ works great things through us. No paycheck or holy lingo required. Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger J-Wild said...

Hey Jana:

What a powerful Sunday you must have had. Why is being authentic such a hard thing to do? The more evangelism is packed into a formula the more I feel like it's rejected. You should definately check out this book. I have not read it, but I have heard it encapsulates exactly what your post is talking about. I do plan on reading it!

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home