Wednesday, February 23, 2005

work vs rest - part 2

One of my fellow bloggers is on vacation in Mexico this week for a much-deserved break with his pregnant wife. In one of his entries (click on his blog at Brooklyn & Beyond), he mentioned that they were feeling guilty about taking a vacation. This led to an email conversation in which I asked him "Why is it so easy for me to tell YOU to rest, but I have such a hard time doing it myself? And vice versa?" Here's his response:

"Because all of us are good 'advice-givers'. It's that whole 'talk the talk and walk the walk' or 'practice what you preach' thing that we don't have a hold of just yet. Even our beloved Apostle Paul struggled with it (see Romans).

I really do think it's a societal thing. The American dream is that if you work hard enough, you will be successful. And if you don't work hard you are lumped into the same category as those who feed off of welfare. The work ethic here in America among those we call successful is high and hard. Ugh. For those of us who see that this contrasts the Kingdom of God world that Jesus preaches, we struggle.

I just wish we lived in a society where people didn't feel so stressed to have it all together! These days, we are barely keeping our head above water. We manage to keep our doctor appointments and that's about it. I'm sure there are some who just want me to 'get over it' and get going. The societal norm doesn't allow for a rest or a sabbatical.

I preach this sermon from Exodus...on Moses who was brave enough to confront God and say, 'if you don't go with us from this point, I ain't moving.' God gave Moses the famous 'cleft in the rock' to hide in while God went forward to prepare the way. I view that 'cleft in the rock' as a resting place ordained by God. We all need it, the cleft in the rock. You do too."

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Light said...

Good comments. God instructs us to be still. If we're always rushing around, we won't have time to feel and experience him.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Sista! Thanks for stating that so clearly.

I don't know much about European culture, but I heard that in Belgium everyone gets an entire month of vacation and all the stores close around 5 everyday. I don't think there is any way to change our society that is so spoiled to 24-hr Wal-Marts (I mean that to be the plural form of Wal-Mart) and acustomed to the go-go-go way of life.

But, I thank you for pointing out to all of us that rest is ordained by God. Hopefully we all take each other's advice and get some rest w/o feeling guilty about it.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home