Tuesday, March 07, 2006

dana reeve

I am in shock. Dana Reeve, the widow of Christopher Reeve, has died from lung cancer. I don't know why this has sent me reeling. Maybe because she was only 44. Maybe because her family has already gone through so much tragedy. Maybe because her 13-year-old son is now an orphan. Maybe it just saddens me when people who obviously place so much value on their families are taken from this earth.

Dana Reeve came across as a strong and steady woman. She seemed to have an unwavering, rock-solid love for her husband. And I was always impressed how committed she was to her marriage. This world could certainly use more folks like Dana Reeve. Rest in peace, good woman.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Alice said...

Jana - I know exactly what you mean. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her death since I heard about it this morning.

This kind of tragedy is incomprehensible for me. Although she is now at peace, it is her son that breaks my heart. I can't imagine the pain he must be experiencing.

12:08 PM  
Blogger christine pinson said...

I agree...this has been on my heart and mind all day also since i watched the spot about her on the Today Show this morning...her love for her husband was definitely inspiring, and hopefully that legacy of love will carry her son through some of this grief...still, so tragic

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jana,
I meant to post this thought on your previous blog, about knowing God's approval...but perhaps it fits as a comment here as well.

There was a man who visited Mother Teresa, witnessed her work with the poor, and at the end of his visit, got to meet with this great woman of faith.
He begged her to answer this one question:
"Mother Teresa, please, tell me, how do I find clarity in my life? I am desperate to find clarity. And you seem to have it. How?"

She answered, "I can not answer your question. I do not have any clarity in my life. But I do have trust."

Ever since I heard that, I have been freed from that nagging feeling of needed clarity and reassurance that I am doing the "right" thing. Like a ton of bricks, I realized that I am like that man. Following God, but still peeking over my shoulder wondering if I am doing it right. And then suddenly realizing...it is my relationship WITH God that will determine my decisions. So maybe I will never have that clarity, but I can walk in trust and faith, because I am in that communication with the Father who steers my course.

I don't know if I am very articulate in explaining that....but when I read your last two entries, I felt like jumping out of my chair and saying, "OH I know what you mean, friend, and I have some peace!"

And I hope you too find that peace.

with love,
shannon

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home