Friday, January 20, 2006

mental health

I feel sad today, for reasons I'd rather not disclose. But I will say this...mental illness is very real. If you don't think depression or other mental disorders can disrupt a person's life, you're kidding yourself.

Mental illness needs to be taken just as seriously as physical illness...if not moreso. Please, please educate yourself about mental health issues. And if you sense that someone you love is suffering from depression, anxiety or some other disorder, PLEASE encourage them to talk to their doctor or therapist.

5 Comments:

Blogger christine pinson said...

i feel the same sadness that you are feeling, and i wouldn't be surprised if it stems from some of the same reasons...my heart has just been aching and my stomach sick...i pray that there will be more awareness within our church families that this disease is real and that it affects more people than we could imagine in very real and devastating ways...

1:50 PM  
Blogger Little Light said...

tis true

2:05 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

I'm reading a book now that talks about how the church - as a generality - is quick to assist its members when the illness is cancer or some such disease, but when the illness is mental, the church handles that too often by either ignoring or condemning the situation. And neither of those are helpful responses.

I'll say a little prayer for you and yours today.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

As I don't know what to specifically pray for in this case, I pray that the Holy Spirit carries the needs you are aware of to God.

Tony

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Listen to the cry of a woman in labor at the hour of giving birth - look at the dying man's struggle at his last extremity, and then tell me whether something that begins and ends thus could be intended for enjoyment."
-Soren Kierkegaard

There is just something about this quote that very often makes a lot of sense to me.

7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home