Friday, January 13, 2006

time-out

Besides Rowan’s expanding vocabulary, Brandon and I are fascinated at his emerging personality. His most recent trick is attempting to charm his mommy. For instance…he’s sitting in time-out for some toddler-like offense. He’s unhappy about sitting in time-out. REAL unhappy. Arching-of-the-back, screaming-bloody-murder, tears-streaming-down-cheeks, snot-running-into-mouth unhappy. I sit on the floor directly in front of him and speak in a low voice, hoping he’ll take my cue: “Rowan, calm down. Take a breath and just calm down.” He stops screaming and crying, seemingly gathering himself. We make eye contact and have a staredown of sorts. I want to laugh at what we look like to the outside world, this 30-something, frizzy-haired woman nose-to-nose with a willful, chubby-cheeked child. I also feel this momentary urge to cry…it’s as if I’m peering deep into my son’s tender soul. But wait, out of my peripheral vision, I see his hand moving. He is slowly, ever-so-slowly, lifting his hand to my face. His index finger is now pointing at my eye. He holds his finger mid-air and then gingerly touches my eyelash. Of course I crack up. And time-out has come to an abrupt end. Ya gotta give in every once in awhile.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Watching your child's own personality is fascinating, rewarding, scary, funny, and intimidating. It absolutely engrossing.

I just know you are doing a good job Jana.

Tony

12:53 PM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

I meant to say, "watching your child's own personality develop is..."

12:54 PM  
Blogger Nikki Davis said...

After reading this, I have to say you haven't changed a bit, Jana! I've been reading your blog for several months now and have really enjoyed the things you've shared. This one is by far my favorite. It rings so true to my life.

I'm not too far from you. Scott is stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and we live in Clarksville. I would love to meet your Rowan and show you my two little miracles.

~Nikki (Rausche) Davis

1:30 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Tony - You think I'm doing a good job only 'cause you know I caught Rowan's snot.

Nikki - So good to hear from you! But I'm wondering...what did I write that prompted you to say that I "haven't changed a bit"??? ;) Do you keep in touch with Emily and Lisa?

Thanks for piping up and saying hi.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Nikki Davis said...

LOL! You never missed a chance to laugh. When I picture you back then, I see you laughing.

I keep in touch with both of them. When you have time, send me an email and I'll catch you up on things. the_davis_house@yahoo.com

12:49 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

That's great! I can just picture that whole scene.

We missed you guys on Sunday. Hopefully we'll see you soon!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home