Wednesday, June 29, 2005

for all us know-it-alls

I think I can safely say that, for the first time in my life, I am ravenous for God's Word. This new hunger has been prompted by two things, I believe: 1) my new "fake Bible", as my parents' friends good-naturedly call it (my dad has his own "fake Bible"), better known as the New Living Translation, and 2) my prayers that God would give me a desire to read Scripture. Well, the desire is here...and so is a Bible that makes sense to me.

The other day my dad suggested I read Romans 14, so I was going to share some words from that chapter this morning. But I got sidetracked with chapter 12: "Don't just pretend that you love others. Really love them....When God's children are in need, be the one to help them out. And get into the habit of inviting guests home for dinner or, if they need lodging, for the night....Live in harmony with each other. Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Little Light said...

Thanks for the reminder (chapter 14)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Chel said...

I'm doing lots of reading of my own this summer, in my own 'fake Bible.' I know there are those who don't believe that other versions (I'm reading in The Message) are good, but I think that anything that gets us reading more of God's Word is good.

12:42 PM  
Blogger blueyedtracy said...

Wow, I really like how that is worded. "Don't try to act important, but enjoy the company of ordinary people. And don't think you know it all!"' Such words of wisdom. I may need to get myself a "fake Bible" . . . maybe it means my living for Him will be less of a fake when there are some real, day-to-day words describing what's really going on in my heart. Thanks Jana!

6:43 PM  
Blogger JMG said...

That passage sounds similar to what I was reading in James this morning--all the put your faith into action stuff.

I've been reading the "fake bible" (NLT) for a couple of years. I really like the way it just says things plainly.

5:51 AM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

I think the NLT is GREAT!
I also like "The Message"--I know it's a paraphrase--but some of the time I get to reading and can't put it down.
I haven't found that many conflicts--so I really don't understand the big deal as to why some people don't like the "other" versions.
I say let's all keep reading our "fake" Bibles. If they are drawing us closer to God--I can't see that as anything but good!

JB

11:28 AM  
Blogger Pilgrim said...

I also enjoy reading the Bible a lot more since I got my "fake" Bible, The Message. I'm glad I found a place where I can admit it. :-)

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home