Tuesday, May 24, 2005

oh no he DIDN'T

When did Tom Cruise become God? Okay, okay, so he's not professing to be God. But he sure does act like he's the know-all and the end-all (whatever that means...I'm too annoyed to get my cliches straight). I admit he's a superb actor. I like most of his movies. But the way he left Nicole in a trail of dust chasing after Penelope was just wrong. And now there's Katie. (My dear child: JUST. SAY. NO.)

I've been trying to resist writing about Cruise these past few weeks, what with all the new-romance hooplah. But something I just read has pushed me over the edge. No, I'm not speaking about the article where he boasts of himself, "I'm a great parent!" And no, it's not the fact that the demure, sweet-seeming Holmes has decided to take up with a twice-divorced Scientology fanatic. And no, it's not the fact that Cruise claims in an online interview that there is only one "successful drug rehabilitation program in the world....called Narconon", even though the Scientology-based method is not "mentioned among the recognized detox programs."

What REALLY chaps my hide are Cruise's following comments during a recent Access Hollywood interview (to air Thursday). First of all, he slams Brooke Shields with this completely unnecessary comment: "Here is a woman, and I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented woman. You look at, where has her career gone?"

Huh. That's funny. I thought Brooke Shields was doing pretty well for herself. After all, she's had a successful modeling career and the lead role on a popular television sitcom, experienced Broadway success, has a current lead role in the London production of "Chicago", is a new mother, and has just released a book about her battle with postpartum depression.

But then Cruise says that Shields was "misguided when she took the anti-depressant Paxil to fight her depression after giving birth" and "...when you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that. You can use vitamins to help a woman through those things."

Well thanks, Tom. Thanks for sharing all that medical know-how with us. I hold your opinion in high regard, especially since you've never been to medical school or experienced postpartum depression.

I'm all for taking vitamins. And I'm not one to plead with my doctor for a prescription. I won't even take Tylenol unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. So when my doc prescribed Zoloft last summer when I was suffering from postpartum depression, I was resistant. I didn't want meds messing with my mind, and I didn't want to have to rely on it to make me feel better about myself. But on the advice of a number of people and hand-in-hand with weekly visits to a counselor, I took the Zoloft. And it's helped turned me into a somewhat normal person again.

Tom...some advice...keep your day job.

7 Comments:

Blogger Clarissa said...

Yes, I read that stuff today, too. But from what you know of me you can guess that I found myself wondering if he was right. But reading this, my offended self feels justified. Is "he's an idiot" too strong? Or "jerk"?

3:21 PM  
Blogger Little Light said...

The one Scientologist I know speaks out against medication too, but I think she could use some Paxil.

Didn't Tom Cruise and Nicole adopt? He probably has little to no knowledge about PPD.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MDM said...

Very well put as usual, Jana! Moron.

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched Tom on Oprah the other day and kept thinking to myself...what a GOOB! He kept jumping up on the couch and kneeling down to hit the floor as a way of showing the world how "in love" he is. It was a bit much. GOOB I say!

7:47 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

He seemed high on somethign and it definately wasn't religon. I agree, stick to the movies!

11:23 PM  
Blogger LC Greenwood said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the Oprah thing,too and could he be more full of himself? Seriously. And, the first day that he even has a period or cramps, then he start talking about vitamins. Much less PPD, which is a totally legit issue. What an idiot. We should all email Oprah.
Karise

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home