Monday, May 09, 2005

day of the mother

My mom is cool because she...

- gave birth twice without any medication
- let us (my bro and me) stay up late when my dad went away on business trips
- has had the patience to teach the Bible to children of all ages
- diagnosed me with chicken pox
- made dinner every night of the week during my childhood (Rowan and Brandon would BE so lucky...)
- woke me up at 4 a.m. so I could watch Prince Charles and Princess Di's wedding with her
- sat in the closet with us when there were tornado warnings
- knew our teachers and was involved with our school activities
- believed me when I told her I hadn't eaten the infamous candy bar
- showed us how to suck nectar out of a honeysuckle blossom
- did all our laundry
- taught me how to be gracious and thankful
- handled barf, poop, body odor and teenage hormones with aplomb
- listened and listened and listened some more
- scratched my back and sang to me when she woke me in the mornings
- gave me one of the best gifts EVER (She started a needlepoint project of a Raggedy Ann - my favorite childhood doll - when I was in kindergarten, and then - after years of me nagging her - finished it when I was in high school and surprised me with it at Christmas one year. I cried.)
- worked outside of the home to put me through college
- talked my dad into letting me attend prom
- took my cousin into her home and mothered him through high school
- came to TN and took care of me for ten days after I gave birth
- came back three months later and took care of me when I was in the midst of postpartum depression
- accompanied me to my first counseling appointment
- writes well
- reads my blog
- encourages me with her notes, phone calls and upbeat outlook
- prays for me

These are just a few of the many reasons I love her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

You are blessed to have her! :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger barbara curtis said...

Jana,

Reading this tribute to your mom blessed me so much this morning! My own childhood was pretty bad and I don't have memories like these to share. But I'm working hard to be a good mom, and it's so encouraging to hear someone's grownup daughter remember all these "little" but really meaningful things. This will make my heart sing all day!

Your mother is blessed to have you!

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home