Monday, May 09, 2005

day of the mother

My mom is cool because she...

- gave birth twice without any medication
- let us (my bro and me) stay up late when my dad went away on business trips
- has had the patience to teach the Bible to children of all ages
- diagnosed me with chicken pox
- made dinner every night of the week during my childhood (Rowan and Brandon would BE so lucky...)
- woke me up at 4 a.m. so I could watch Prince Charles and Princess Di's wedding with her
- sat in the closet with us when there were tornado warnings
- knew our teachers and was involved with our school activities
- believed me when I told her I hadn't eaten the infamous candy bar
- showed us how to suck nectar out of a honeysuckle blossom
- did all our laundry
- taught me how to be gracious and thankful
- handled barf, poop, body odor and teenage hormones with aplomb
- listened and listened and listened some more
- scratched my back and sang to me when she woke me in the mornings
- gave me one of the best gifts EVER (She started a needlepoint project of a Raggedy Ann - my favorite childhood doll - when I was in kindergarten, and then - after years of me nagging her - finished it when I was in high school and surprised me with it at Christmas one year. I cried.)
- worked outside of the home to put me through college
- talked my dad into letting me attend prom
- took my cousin into her home and mothered him through high school
- came to TN and took care of me for ten days after I gave birth
- came back three months later and took care of me when I was in the midst of postpartum depression
- accompanied me to my first counseling appointment
- writes well
- reads my blog
- encourages me with her notes, phone calls and upbeat outlook
- prays for me

These are just a few of the many reasons I love her. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melodee said...

You are blessed to have her! :)

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home