Friday, April 08, 2005

everyone sing with me now...it's all about me, jana...oops! i mean, it's all about you, jesus...

I was just reading a blog discussion about a certain faith-based institution who has chosen to not lower their flags in honor of the Pope. The discussion was thoughtful, theological, and all the contributors were men. I wanted to throw out my two cents but I felt intimidated, like I didn't have anything to share that they would deem worthwhile. And then I realized that instead of really pondering the issues, all I was thinking about was me, me, me! Always me! So self-centered. I highly doubt Jesus would have sat at his computer thinking about the most profound, intelligent comment he could write to impress a bunch of intellectual types. Maybe one day I'll stop navel-gazing so intently. Yeah. When pigs fly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

You're right, Kate. Doesn't seem like his style at all.

3:03 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

Ok, ok...I understand the point of your post, and you are right in saying that we often are more about us, and less about Him. And I obviously need to learn this lesson your teaching.

HOWEVER, you should never feel intimidated in a situation like that. You are smart, theological, articulate, and have a blogger account so you have every right to make a comment!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Little Light said...

Would Jesus have a blog? Hmmm...

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that there is a fine line between saying something to sound important or intelligent and letting your actions do the teaching. Jesus was able to use language in liberative ways that helped to reframe the situation (usually through parables). I don't necessarily think that he was doing it to sound really intelligent, but doesn't he come off to others as one who is able to say things that profoundly cause them to rethink their view or position on matters? For these reasons I blog, I comment, and I engage in the ongoing conversation related to faith and practice. i've enjoyed your blog, by the way. Don't let that go to your head, though. :)

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home