Wednesday, August 03, 2005

compliments of deana

I read this on Deana's blog a while back...thought it was hilarious (and oh-so-true)...so I'm sharing. The comments in parentheses are my own.

IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S...
You wore a rainbow shirt that was half-sleeves, and the rainbow went up one sleeve, across your chest, and down the other. (I don't recall having a rainbow shirt...Mom?)
You made baby chocolate cakes in your Easy Bake Oven and washed them down with snow cones from your Snoopy Snow Cone Machine. (no easy bake or snow cone machine either)
You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. (I think I had this...)
You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it. (I DEFINITELY had this!)
You learned to skate with actual skates -- not roller blades -- that had metal wheels. (Jana on skates...doin' the Hokey Pokey...not a pretty picture)
You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute -- admit it! (didn't watch the Love Boat, but the theme song is groovy)
You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island. (I had nightmares...but not after watching Fantasy Island)
You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. (no boots either)
You had either a bowl cut or pixie not to mention the Dorothy Hamil because your Mom was sick of braiding your hair. (actually I had what some might call a "white-girl afro" or an "Annie 'do")
People sometimes thought you were a boy. (ALL. THE. TIME.)
Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. (of course)
You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. (by knickers do you mean JAMS?)
You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. (no, I asked for pom-poms and Barbies)
You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits. (I had their record, too)
You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. (metal swingsets are an accident waiting to happen)
You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (sure did, even though they didn't really work with the hair)
You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals -- the ones with hard sole & the buckle. You also had a pair of salt-water sandals. (I wore SAS shoes...oh so styling)
You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder so bad you wore Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson! (that nasty Nellie! Laura Ingalls RULED!!!)
You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink. (the local rink was Hot Wheels but there wasn't any kissing happening)
Your hairstyle was described as having wings/feathers and you kept it pretty with the comb you kept in your back pocket. (no wings/feathers...just lots of frizz)
You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. (I miss them sometimes)
You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. (sing with me: It's time to get things started, it's time to light the lights...on the Muppet show tonight!)
You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. (didn't watch it)
Every now and then It's a Hard Knock Life from the movie Annie will pop into your brain and you can't stop singing it the whole day. (seriously!!! it still happens to this day!!!)
YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! (unfortunately no)
It was a big event in your household each year when the Wizard of Oz would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! (A big, huge, splendid event!)
You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: Who will I marry: Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Rick Springfield? (who?)
You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever and Fame soundtrack record album. (I listened to KCOZ FM 100 Easy Listening Music, thankyouverymuch)
You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. (my mom displayed my God's eye for years)
You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! (can't say I did...)
You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player up to the speaker. (hey it worked. granted, the sound quality was a little poor.)
You couldn't wait to get the free animal poster that came when you ordered books from the Weekly Reader book club. Double score if it was a teddy bear dressed in clothing. (I loved Weekly Reader...it was like Christmas at school!)
You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books. (that Judy Blume...she was a scandalous one)
You thought Olivia Newton John's song Physical was about aerobics. (It isn't?)
You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. (I not only wore them, I made them)
You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. (no, but I sure wanted to watch the show!)
You had a Big Wheel with a brake on the side, and a Sit-n-Spin. (Big Wheel, yes, but I've never been fond of spinning)
You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. (I ready Nancy Drew and Little House)
You spent all your allowance on smurfs and stickers for your sticker album. (watched the smurfs every Sat morn, and my sticker collection could not be beat!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Malia said...

I'm doing some catching up blog reading, life has been hectic lately. WOW! This really fits me to a T! A lot of your parenthetical comments would have mirrored my own. I got a perm in third grade and I did look like Annie!

Good stuff. I still have that sticker album somewhere...

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home