Tuesday, August 01, 2006

blah-blah-blogging

Blogging has turned blah for me. When J-Wild turned me onto blogging at the same time I was stumbling out of a fog of postpartum depression, I was thrilled to have a place where I could write (a favorite pastime of mine) AND have some daily adult interaction (vital for me as a stay-at-home parent). While I named my blog "The Rowan Report" so I could "report" on life with my child, I also viewed it as a place to discuss other personal interests aside from parenting. Lately however, I often find myself wanting to write about topics of a more sensitive nature, and I'm afraid my comments will come across as offensive to some of my friends and relatives.

I once read a blogger who wrote that she didn’t comment about issues like politics or family struggles because "those topics would be hurtful." I understand where she's coming from. But I also identify with the words of another blogger who mentioned hearing Philip Yancey discuss a common difficulty of writers. She said, "We are supposed to use the stuff of our lives to find spiritual meaning and teach what we have found. Abstractions help no one. It's the real-life applications that we learn from. But Yancey mentioned problems with [those closest to him] taking offense at his writing." At this point in my life, I don't feel strong enough - or mature enough for that matter - to deal with the fallout.

All that to say...I'm taking a break from blogging. It could very well be a permanent break. But I will keep writing. I love to write. Always have. I'm just not sure blogging is the best forum for sharing my thoughts at this point in my life. Call it what you will (personally, I think it's an urging by the Spirit) but I feel the need to focus my writing energies elsewhere at the time.

So farewell, my blogging buddies. Thanks for all the encouragement these past couple of years. I hope you can say I did likewise. May the peace of God always be with you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Chel said...

I have more than once considered letting the blogging go by the wayside, so I can understand the need to do something else. I'll miss reading your comments because I did enjoy them.

You have my email... keep me posted on how you all are doing, okay?

Many good wishes!

2:43 PM  
Blogger RWS said...

Perhaps you should assume a pen name and start another blog where you're free to write what you want. I've thought of doing that a few times. My family reads my blog, so sometimes I really can't write what i'm thinking. I even registered a domain name for the uncensored thoughts I plan on writing someday! I feel you. Best of luck and don't forget to stop by once in a while!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This must have been such a hard decision to make...
I'll miss your blog, as I've enjoyed reading it over the past several months (I guess it's been about a year now). I hope that you are able to find the same satisfaction (or more of it) through other writing outlets. Also, and I'm guilty too, there's always the phone.
Peace, Your Cousin,
Adam

7:31 AM  
Blogger Tony Arnold said...

You can still read and comment on other's blog to stay in-touch.

I glad you said you won't stop writing.

More glad that I will still get to see and talk with you even though you exit the blog world.

Tony

12:19 PM  
Blogger christine pinson said...

I do enjoy your writing and you are always very thoughtful even when posing hard questions. I will miss reading your blog, and thank you so much for stopping in on mine to check up. This blog thing really is pretty amazing, considering we have never met in person yet I feel like I know you. Things are going well and I appreciate you asking. It is very very hard, and just like you have things that maybe aren't best written on the blog, I don't think I could really blog about all of my feelings about my working situation and missing my baby. But I do appreciate the prayers and encouraging words I have had from so many, including you.

I do hope you will still read and comment occasionally, because I enjoy your thoughts that I read on mine and other blogs. You are very wise and I hope that the Lord continues to bless you and your family.

6:03 PM  
Blogger RD said...

Jana,
Hey, we'll miss your sharp-witted blogs. I guess we'll have to go back to reading all those dull-witted ones. I'll keep my eyes on the New Yorker and The Economist for your articles in the future.

-Russ

9:16 AM  
Blogger Byron said...

when was your last comment? how are the three youngs doing these days? this is a lazy way to email you.

B

11:48 PM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

NOW I know why blogging wasn't so important anymore ... I saw your news on the board when I visited OC a few weeks ago ... blessings to you, friend.

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home