Thursday, May 11, 2006

normal in our abnormalities

While there are several disturbing aspects of the internet, one of its advantages is providing a place for everyone to feel normal in their abnormalities. The far-reaching arm of the web, as well as the mask of a computer screen, makes it easy to find forums where people with similar struggles can congregate and support each other.

This morning I've been researching a phobia of mine. I won't tell you what it is. I'm too embarassed at this point. But after doing some online research, I've started feeling a little more normal and a little less freakish.

Whatever your quirk or vice, there are other people out there just like you. Use the web in your advantage to normalize your own struggles. Maybe one day we'll be able to be as open in person as we are online.

2 Comments:

Blogger J-Wild said...

Spill it....what is it? I could guess, but something tells me that wouldn't be a good idea.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jana,
If it makes you feel better, I have several phobias.
Of:
-being tickled
-being hit in the head
-lossing someone in a crowd
-having my teeth shaved with a razor
-having my shoulder dislocated (which has happened frequently; once when I sneezed and once while asleep)
And, at times, I suffer from social anxiety (there's a mixtue of things going here, but lsd and mdma use are both huge contributing factors[for the record, I no longer use]).
-I also have this huge fear of not wiping enough (sorry if this is TMI).
Here's just a few. I don't know if they make you few anymore normal, but what is normal anyway?
Peace,
Adam Hogan

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home