Monday, August 08, 2005

the trinity...journalistically speaking: an addendum

On December 1, 2004, I wrote a post entitled "The Trinity...Journalistically Speaking". Dan Rather and Tom Brokaw had announced their retirement from their positions as evening anchors on CBS and NBC. In my post, I labeled Dan, Tom and Peter Jennings as the "Big Three".

This morning, the Three are two. Peter Jennings died from lung cancer yesterday. I am in shock. I knew he was ill but I didn't realize how seriously. To me, his death truly marks the end to an era.

I ended my original post with the statement: "Life marches on." And it does. Always marching.

3 Comments:

Blogger erinlo said...

I was shocked as well! I knew he was sick, but I didn't know it was that serious. Although I was never a big Peter Jennings fan, I'm sad because I don't remember a time when he wasn't on the news. My whole life, he was just always there. I feel old. Sad.

1:37 PM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

I guess I just assumed he would get better and always be there.

I am not a big fan of tv news--but I still respected Mr. Jennings.

May God comfort his family,
JB

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the feeling I had when Chet Huntly died. When David Brinkly goes that'll "put a lid on it" for me. We have been Tom Brokaw fans our whole married life (24 years). We watched Tom so much that one day when Lauren was a little, little girl, she put her foot down ad said, "No more Tom Broken!" We had to laugh.:)...Love you kids!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home